Sarah Morreim Photography

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Miss Minnesota's Outstanding Teen 2012.

For 4 years I have waited for the "crown" to be placed on my head. I can't tell you how extremely happy and excited I am to finally be able to call myself your Miss Minnesota's Outstanding Teen 2012!

Let me back up a few steps for those who don't know much about me :) My name is Bailey Wachholz and I live in Nisswa, Minnesota with my parents and my cat. I attend Brainerd High School as a junior this year and will be switching to Central Lakes College next year as a senior and PSEO student. I'm 17 years old and love playing piano, being out on the lake, and writing.

My pageant career started when I was 13 years old and has blossomed. 3 months prior to my first pageant, my father was diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's disease. I was devasted. I felt scared, afraid, and lonely. Those fears are what pushed me to create the first education program in Minnesota specialized for the youth and teaching them about Alzheimer's disease and other related dememtias. This program is designed for 1st grade to college aged students. I've been incredibly blessed to have been able to present in 14 schools and speak to over 5000 young people on Alzheimer's. Three years along in the Alzheimer's journey, my Dad is steadily declining but my passion for education has only grown. My platform has become my life.

I competed my very first time in the Miss Minnesota's Outstanding Teen 2009 pageant. I didn't walk away with any award but was thirsty for more! I came back the next year, fully preparing myself to win, but walked away as the 2nd runner up. I was saddened that I wasn't the new MMOT but happy that I had won the Community Service award. God gave me lots of signs a few months after the pageant that it just wasn't my time yet, and I trusted Him. Six months after MMOT 2010, I was awarded the Miss North Metro Outstanding Teen 2010 title which qualified me to go to MMOT 2011. My third time at the state pageant, I was feeling so incredibly ready and I started preparing myself to win again. But at the end of the day, I walked away as the 1st runner up. I refuse to lie to you: that was the hardest moment in my life. I was proud to be first runner up, don't get me wrong! It's just that 1st runner up was not good enough for me. I wanted more.

I honestly thought my pageant career was over. I didn't want to be that girl that was known as the "runner up". Following the months after the pageant, I really hit a low. I was crabby most days. I gained weight. My life didn't have a purpose anymore until I read an article about the newly crowned Miss America's Outstanding Teen, Lacey Russ. Lacey competed 4 times before winning her state pageant and ultimately MAOT. If Lacey could compete 4 times, then I could. I was also inspired by the newly crowned Miss Minnesota, Kathryn Knuttila, who also competed 4 times at the state level before winning the title.

I had one final year left of competing as a Teen, and I wasn't going to let myself have any regrets about not competing. So I pulled myself up. My attitude improved and I had lost over 15 pounds. I had the feeling of being on top of the world when I competed for the title of Miss Brainerd Lakes/Baxter Outstanding Teen. I walked away that night as Miss Brainerd Lakes Outstanding Teen with numerous awards, including the fitness wear award! :) By now, it was January 2012 and I had 2 1/2 months to prepare for MMOT 2012. I was putting a good 10 hours a week into practicing, but was feeling very calm, cool, and collected. I knew that God's plan was perfect, and if I was destined to be Miss Minnesota's Outstanding Teen then it would happen this year.

Thus, I am now proudly standing before you as Miss Minnesota's Outstanding Teen 2012!! That night I also won the interview award and tied for the scholastic achievment award. When I heard my name called, it was truly the greatest moment of my life. God's timing is so absolutely perfect. This title was worth waiting four years for. Already my year has been so blessed and it hasn't even been a week yet!

I've been overwhelmed by all of the support I have recieved. (I'm sorry if I haven't always responded to texts/Facebook,ect.) Thank you to all of you who have played such an influential role in shaping who I am today. In my previous blog as Miss Brainerd Lake's Outstanding Teen (http://www.missbrainerdlakesot2012.blogspot.com/) I dedicated an entire blog to these influential people, so I won't bore you with that now :) But I do want to quick thank my Parents, Stacie McBride-Cox, Vicki and Bill and my pageant friends and family. All of you are amazing for believing in me for all of these years, thank you! Many thanks and congrats go to the wonderful and amazing girls I competed with... You all are awesome and amazing and perfect in God's eyes and I hope you always believe that He makes everything happen for a reason.

I would like to say congrats to 2 of my best friends: Corrina Swiggum, for being 2nd runner up, and my sister queen, Savannah Cole, for being 1st runner up! I'm so proud of you two :) Also congrats to Molly West for representing our community so well!

With the many media appearances this week, I apologize for just writing this blog so late. But here are a couple pictures from the pageant, so enjoy!

With much love and appreciation,
Bailey Wachholz
Miss Minnesota's Outstanding Teen 2012

Some of the contestants backstage before the show

My Brainerd sisters :)

Opening number
Photo by John Wallin

Fitness wear
Photo by John Wallin

Talent

Evening gown
Photo by Kelly Beniek

Photo by Kelly Beniek

Photo by John Wallin
Photo by John Wallin


Corrina, myself, and Savannah!
Photo by John Wallin
The judges
Photo by John Wallin
My new directors!
Photo by John Wallin

Mom and Dad
Photo by John Wallin

Photo by John Wallin

Kathy and Dorothy
Photo by John Wallin

The local Miss Minnesota titleholders
Photo by John Wallin

Dylan
Photo by John Wallin

Photo by John Wallin

Photo by John Wallin

So proud to come from such an awesome pageant community... Go Brainerd! :)
Photo by John Wallin

Bill and Vicki, my Miss Brainerd Lake's OT directors
Photo by John Wallin

Bethany
Photo by John Wallin

And finally, Lexi! Who is so excited to cheer me on in Florida at Miss America's Outstanding Teen :)
Photo by John Wallin

1 comment:

  1. Bailey - I hadn't put all these pieces together before. Thanks for the wonderful blog. The picture of your Dad touching your crown is PRICELESS! Can't wait to follow your amazing year. Love ya! Deb Cranny

    ReplyDelete